Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Abundance of applesauce!

We had two coupons to buy two jars of applesauce and get one free at Kroger. One was mailed to us and another was generated by the computer at checkout. (I love how they track your purchases with your store card and get you coupons accordingly!) My husband tried to redeem both coupons the other night with six big jars of applesauce, but they only let him use one. He came home with the six jars anyway, and gave me the unused coupon. That means we have six jars of applesauce to eat with three more on the way. Two of our kids love applesauce but nine jars seems a bit much even for them to eat!

I looked online at All Recipes and Recipes 4 Living for recipes with applesauce as an ingredient and found tons. I was particularly looking for something I could make right now without heating up the house. My two favorites were applesauce oatmeal and strawberry applesauce.


Super Duper Oatmeal

1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup oats
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons wheat germ
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons sugar

Bring the milk and water to a boil in a pot. Mix in the oats, and reduce heat to medium. Stir in blueberries, applesauce, wheat germ, cinnamon, and sugar. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until oats are tender.

I am going to make this for my son for lunch but with some changes:


Applesauce Oatmeal

1 cup water
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons milk

Cook the oatmeal according to package directions. When it's almost done, remove from heat and stir in milk, applesauce, sugar, and cinnamon.

This is how I already make it for him with just applesauce added.

*****

Here's another one that is similar to how the girls' school fixes applesauce. My applesauce eaters LOVE this dish. They call it Rosy Applesauce at school.


Strawberry Applesauce

1 (3oz.) box strawberry gelatin
1 can applesauce
1 cup boiling water

Mix gelatin and boiling water, stir to dissolve. Add applesauce and stir. Chill, but do not allow to set. You can double or triple this recipe with ease.

I have a box of mixed fruit gelatin that I'll use to try this with later on today. The kids can have it for dessert after supper.

No comments: