Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Chicken Pot Surprise #2

This recipe is somewhat similar to yesterday's Chicken Pot Surprise. I made it almost exactly the same, with only a few very minor modifications. The result was a completely different dish with a different appearance and a different flavor. The kids seemed to like the #2 recipe better.

Chicken Pot Surprise #2

3-4 chicken leg quarters
Medium onion, chopped
Several small potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1-2 cups frozen purple hull peas
1-2 cups frozen butter beans
1/2 cup frozen okra
Salt and pepper to taste

Place the chicken leg quarters and chopped onions in a stock pot and cover with water. Add salt and pepper and turn on medium-high heat. While the chicken is boiling, peel and chop the potatoes. I used my handy-dandy veggie chopper that my grandma gave me! Add the potatoes and vegetables when the chicken is about half to three-quarters done.

This time I stirred the chicken up with the rest of it instead of keeping it separate like I did with the other recipe. That gave it an entirely different appearance, as did chopping the potatoes with the vegetable cutter as opposed to just cutting them up into chunks with a knife the way I did yesterday's recipe.

The small amount of okra gave this recipe some flavor. Since I put it in so early, the okra itself just kind of melted into the dish and gave it the flavor without the pieces sitting there staring at you. (I don't really care for okra!) I was really surprised at the difference in flavor and I think the kids were too.

We got two meals from this dish as with the other one. That's always a good thing.

I served them both as kind of a wet, one-dish meal with crackers but in the winter the very same recipe could be served as soup with some bread. Yummy!

No comments: