Sunday, July 13, 2008

Cheesy Turkey and Potato Casserole


Another casserole made from the contents of the refrigerator. Yummy!


This is yet another one of my dishes made from whatever we happen to have in the pantry and fridge. It's actually very similar to the Turkey and Potato Casserole recipe I posted a few days ago.

I had this container of store-bought potato salad (left over from company last weekend) that was a bit too chive-y for anyone to eat, and I needed some soup to hold a casserole together but didn't have any. So I thought I'd substitute the potato salad for soup and mixed some of the potato salad up in it. Interesting.

It turned out good. The potato salad gave it a nice zing. My husband, not one to utter many compliments, actually verbalized that it was good, as in, "The food is good." Impressive.

My son ate until there was no more. It was right up his alley -- meat and potatoes!

Here's how I did it:

Cheesy Turkey and Potato Casserole

1 lb ground turkey
Several medium sized potatoes
Celery stalk, diced
1/2 32 oz. container of Red Skin Potato Salad (with chives)
Shredded cheese

Peel the potatoes and cut them up and dice up the celery; put together in a pot of water to boil. Cook the turkey.

Mix the potato salad, potatoes, meat, and some of the shredded cheese up in a bowl. Put in a casserole pan and heat at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until thoroughly warm. Sprinkle some more cheese on top of the casserole and return to the oven for a few minutes to melt.

You could also dice up some onions in with the potatoes and add some salt and pepper. I left that out since I wasn't sure how pronounced the taste would be with the seasonings already in the potato salad.

No comments: