Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Country pie (or a dish with meat, rice, and sauce)

I found this recipe and it sounds really good and of course, super easy and cheap to make.

It's called "Country Pie" but I'm not sure why. I think while I'm making it I'll come up with another name.

Country Pie

1 lb. ground beef
1 jar (14oz) spaghetti sauce
3-4 cups uncooked white minute rice
Mozzarella cheese to cover top

Brown and drain ground beef. Combine meat and 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce. Spread evenly into bottom of 13x9 dish.(will be spread thin). Mix remaining sauce with rice. You can add 1/4 cup water to sauce jar and shake. Use up the last of the sauce in rice. Mix well. Spread evenly over meat. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil. Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove foil. Bake uncovered 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with garlic bread or bread and butter.

Of course I can't just follow a recipe. I always have regular rice on hand so I'll use that instead of minute rice. I'll cook the rice first and then mix it in with the recipe and adjust the cooking times. I'll also substitute ground turkey for the ground beef. I'm looking forward to making this and I hope the kids will like it!

No comments: